Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Adventure Girl

The other day the little princess informed me that when she grew up she was going to be an 'Adventure Girl'. Then she added that she was going to be an Adventure Girl who tamed the T Rex!
And, I have no doubt that if there were still T Rex's roaming the Earth, that indeed she would be the one to tame them. Knowing my girl, she'd sing them a song and then they would all be friends.

But, as I look at this precious girl of mine, I do wonder where she got her Adventure Girl spirit (that I pray she never loses!). Frankly, I'd much rather bake cookies and have a tea party.
She's often up for that too, but you'd better bet her 'pet' dino is at the table with us.

Lately, though I've began my own adventure and as much I am (mostly) enjoying the ride, I have often wondered in my prayers 'Are you SURE this is what you want for me?'. In both my ministry life and home life, I have asked that question more than once. I like things to stay the same and in my comfort zone is where I like to stay.

I have also began to work out at our local community center. Let me tell you, THAT is an adventure! I have thought about changing my blog name to A Fat Girl Goes To The Gym.
Let me tell you, when you haven't been inside a gym in 20 years that is an adventure.
I know, for those of you who are fit and workout people you may not get this, BUT just walking into a gym when you are NOT is an adventure and takes some courage.
You feel out place and not sure what to do or where to start.
After my first timid step in, I'll be honest and say I wasn't sure if I would go back, but after praying for courage and determination I did go back and have actually been enjoying my time there.
I have learned a few things though on this adventure though.

1) Never get on the treadmill next to the girl in her very cute matching workout clothes.
You are only going to feel bad about your self.

2) Great work out music is a must! I've been enjoying Switchfoot, TobyMac and Michael W. Smith's Wonder.

3) While walking on the treadmill that is not the time to try and untangle the headphones on your ipod.

4)There are more muscles in your body that can hurt than you EVER THOUGHT possible!


But, here is the rub, that I believe is so hard for us women to get into our heads. Our beauty is not definded by a dress size, a number on a scale or anything else.
Yes, being active and healthy is a good thing- a great thing, but we can't let it become our a security and idenity.

We are beautiful because God made us. You will be worth no more to Him because of what your dress size is or isn't.
I think of all the things we struggle with believing that is one of the top 5.

So, we have a choice to make, do we believe the Divinely inspired words written in Ps. 139 or don't we?
13 For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place,
when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my unformed body;
all the days ordained for me were written in your book
before one of them came to be.
17 How precious to me are your thoughts,[a] God!
How vast is the sum of them!
18 Were I to count them,
they would outnumber the grains of sand—
when I awake, I am still with you.

Verse 17 says His thoughts toward us our precious. I love that!

So, I've become an adventure girl, in my ministry life and in my quest to be more active and healthy.
It's scary and intimidating at times. But, I know He's gone before me and already made the way.

Maybe the princess and I will find a T Rex and tame it!

What adventure are you on?

4 comments:

Miss Hillbilly said...

I fear I am about to embark on the same adventure as you. In a teeny tiny gym with a very few machines where everyone looks at each other. But, I too will pray for courage. Thanks for this encouraging post!

Angie said...

I figured I could pretend that 'Of course, I work and have going to the gym for ages' but who was I fooling?
Be prepared -but you CAN do it!!
And, also I have come to realize really just about everyone there is pretty focused on their own thing. And, everyone has to start somewhere, right?? :)

Carl Kincaid said...

working out to MWS? gag.

Angie said...

Hey when you are on the treadmill and feel like giving up and hear 'Save Me From Myself'. . .it's a good motivator !
Oh and Shut.Up.

Post a Comment