Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Scaredy Cat

I was that kid who while playing Hide-n-Seek would come out running because I would get scared where I was hiding.
Afraid. Of many many things.

A life lived in fear is one that is not being lived. While I may have broken free of the more obvious strong holds of Satan that had a grip on me in my early 20's, fear was still there. I didn't always recognize it as fear though.
Has that ever happened to you? Have you looked around and found yourself in a pit and not even know you were there?
It had become comfortable. My pit of fear. I was cozy there in that place. After all, it's 'just who I am'. And aren't there many 'legitimate' things to be afraid of.

But, that fear had a tight grip on me and in turn my growing family. And what I was willing to do for the Lord. After all, "I can't do that-it's too scary!". "He'll get someone else more qualified than me." That's just code for I can't do that I'm to afraid.
About 5 1/2 years ago I began to recognize this stronghold of fear in my life.
And what it was holding me back from. All the good gifts God wanted to give me, but couldn't because I was to afraid to receive them.
One of the verses I have claimed in the quest to leave my scaredy cat costume behind is Habakkuk 3:19 in the Amplified Bible The Lord God is my Strength, my personal bravery, and my invincible army; He makes my feet like hinds' feet and will make me to walk [not to stand still in terror, but to walk] and make [spiritual] progress upon my high places [of trouble, suffering, or responsibility]!

The last thing I want to do is stand still in terror! And the promise I love and have claimed is HE is my PERSONAL BRAVERY!! Even when I feel afraid and like I have no courage left for the battles that lie ahead-I can have confidence in this: He is my bravery, HE is my army, HE makes me walk and stand firm.
Thank you Jesus that I don't have do to it myself, otherwise I'd be quivering in the corner.

I meet women who are scared. Scared for their health, scared because they are in a new place, scared because they see their marriages falling apart, scared because there is no money. Scared because they don't feel like they are a good enough parent to their children. All this and so much more. Let's face it our world can be a scary place! But, claim it with me sisters -HE is our bravery! We will no longer live in fear!

0 comments:

Post a Comment