Tuesday, October 26, 2010

For Pete's Sake

We are studying 1Peter in our adult Sunday School classes at my church.
I love Peter. Have since I was a little girl -I think it's because I can relate so much to someone who loves Jesus so much, yet is always jumping in to be first and says the wrong thing.
Peter the Big Fisherman, who lets us see once again, that God not only tolerates the misfits and often misguided, but loves them and chooses to use them. (Thank you Jesus!!)

Having grown up in church, there are certain verses that everyone memorizes. (BTW, I'm not criticizing, Scripture memorization is a VERY good thing and should be apart of any believers walk)
And a verse that I've memorized and heard preached on many times is 1Peter 3:15 -Always be prepared to give an answer for the hope that is in you. (Angie paraphrase)
So, when you are going through difficult or stressful times, you had better be ready to give an a reason why you have a hope.

Oh and here's the actual verse and not just my paraphrase.
But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect 1Peter 3:15



Reasons. I like reasons. The reason why I believe the way I do, have the convictions that I have, vote the way I do. Lots O Reasons. And, I'm OFTEN very eager to share them with you and want you to desperately have the same reasons that I do.

That's why, after all my years in church and studying on my own, I was so surprised to see two little words squished into that verse . Gentleness and Respect.

Seriously, if you know much about Peter these are not words you would associate with him.
So, how much more convicting that they would come from the Big Fisherman himself.
Yes, know what you believe and why you believe it. But, when someone asks you why you answer with Gentleness and Respect.

So after pondering on that for most of the day we then finish the weekend off with the Rangers winning the Pennant -heading to their first World Series. ( the Hubs is from Texas, so we are pretty excited at our house)
But, instead of the usual champagne pour in the locker room after a huge victory like that, they opted for ginger ale.
Josh Hamilton, one of their teammates has been very open with his struggle with addiction and his Faith in Christ. So out of respect for him and his stance they opted for the ginger ale.
Now, I don't know much about Josh Hamilton, but I do know if he would have been arguing and ranting about the evils of excess alcohol, I'm pretty sure his teammates would've chalked him up to another 'intolerant' Christian. Instead, with gentleness and respect, he told his story of redemption in Christ. And now, it's being talked about everywhere by those who you'd never think would be talking about such things.

Gentleness and Respect. May I show those things to everyone I meet whether they agree with me or not, not for my glory, but that My Hope in Christ will be evident.

3 comments:

Miss Hillbilly said...

Very well said Angie, I am going to share the link on fb as well for my church friends!

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Exactly right! I love your blog ALWAYS!

Angie said...

thanks Girls!
And right back at you Jamie!

Post a Comment