Saturday, December 15, 2012

Praying for Newtown

Like you, I've spent the last day and a  half crying, praying, hugging my children, crying and praying some more.


Answers are easy and complicated.

Aren't the always?

The answer to every question is Jesus.

It's complicated because we humans make it so.


So, I cry some more.

And pray. Sometimes with words, sometimes no words can be formed.

Here are some thoughts I began to jot down yesterday and this morning.


Jesus Oh Jesus,

We need you more than ever.

Children, Jesus. . .just babies.

Oh their Mama's and Daddy's . . .I can't even imagine.

I don't want to imagine.

Jesus, when you came to us here on earth, there was a mass murder too.
You were surrounded by violence your whole earthy  life, you know how they feel.

How we feel.

I see so much wrong, Lord.
Family's falling apart, crime rates, violence in our day to day lives that we not only tolerate, but
celebrate.
The list never seems to end.

Forgive us Lord.

Forgive us for rejecting you so long ago and every day since.

Forgive those of us who say we follow you, but live no differently.

Jesus, comfort those parents like only you can.
If they don't know you, help them find you.
Surround them with kindness and peace that only comes from you.

Lord, those police and paramedics . . .Lord I can't imagine what they are seeing, the nightmares
that will haunt them for years.
Lord, I pray you'd give them strength for the job and a sound mind and peace after they're done.

You promised you never change. I'm believing you Lord.

Believing that your grace is enough. That the brokenhearted can be whole in you.

That you love us.

We are down here hurting Lord, longing for your return.
I believe you when you said you'd never leave us.
That you'd come back again.

Help us hold on until then Lord.
It's so hard down here.

Lord, help us be the light in the darkness.
Because it's so dark here.

Jesus hold those precious children close to you. Hold their parents closer still.

Use this tragedy to bring someone to you.

Help us Jesus.

Amen.



I couldn't get the lyrics from I heard the bells on Christmas Day out of my head yesterday.
Perhaps they'll bring you some comfort as well too.

And in despair I bowed my head:
"There is no peace on earth," I said,
"For hate is strong and mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good will to men."

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
"God is not dead, nor doth he sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail,
With peace on earth, good will to men.


Grace and Peace,




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you for express sentiments so many of us are feeling.

Angie said...

You are welcome.

Praying for all of us.

Post a Comment