Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Do You Hear What I Hear?

We were taking my oldest to basketball practice tonight.
Couldn't find my keys so as usual we were rushing, rushing, rushing out the door.

Traffic was crazy and there were sirens in the distance.
My mind was swirling with all that needs to be done before we head to Grandma's house on Thursday.
The news came on our local Christian station and distractedly I heard the news of the day. None of it good.
I really paid it no mind though, as those I know who are hurting began to enter my thoughts and silent distracted prayers went up.

But, in the midst of the noise and chaos and clutter of my mind, I heard a little voice from the backseat, sweetly singing "Do you hear what I hear".
She'd been singing for awhile but I had just put it in the noise category that was swirling around me, until I heard that precious tiny voice singing the line:
A Child A Child sleeping in the night
He will bring us goodness and light
He will bring us goodness and light.

A tear sprang to my eye, as I thought about how distracted I can become by all that is going on around me that I forget the Child sleeping in the night.

He's here now, just like He was then.
So many missed Him then because they didn't stop and listen,just like so many miss Him now for the same reason. We don't listen, or see because we're so distracted.
I know I can be.
Often the things that distract us are important.
The sirens were going to someone who needed help.
My friends are hurting and in pain because of real things in their lives.
Things really do need to get done.

But, if I can stop and listen and remember the One who came to bring Peace-who is Peace himself suddenly I can see what this life is just a temporary stop on our way to live in Peace with the Prince of Peace someday.

A little tiny voice in the backseat during rush hour, reminding me what the season is all about.
Of course, of course that is what it was. And I am so grateful.

0 comments:

Post a Comment