Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Remember When

We went on a little camping excursion last weekend with the family.

On the way home, Hubby decided to take the back roads-and you may not know this or believe me, but there are parts of Missouri that are so breath taking.
No mountains or beach, but there is a familiar beauty there that can sometimes take my breath away.

I also have an affinity to round hay bales. They make me happy.

My grandparents old farm house had a field behind it, and when we'd visit at the right time it would be full of round hay bales. My uncle (who was only 10 years older than me and who I was pretty sure hung the moon) and I would go out and play and climb on those bales. He would even take me to his favorite 'secret' pond out in the middle of those bales.
I loved those adventures.
He died tragically when I was 16, and over the years of missing him those round hay bales have become a sweet reminder of the love and kinship we shared.


So, while we were driving home Sunday and I was taking the beauty in around me, Hubby was quick to point out a field of those treasures to me.




Remembering can be such a good thing.


These past few weeks have been filled with some painful and challenging moments.
And when we got home from our camping adventure, I was faced with another huge disappointment.
In my humanity it would have been easy to wallow in the discouragement and disappointment.

But instead I choose to remember.

Remember where I've been, and a God who has carried me every step of the way.

Remember that even when the path was rocky and hard to navigate, I never had to walk it alone.

Remember that My Savior promised to not only save me, but to love me, guide me, protect me.

That He only wants good for me. To prosper and not to harm.

Yes, I chose to remember instead of wallow.

Wallowing is easy. Remembering can be difficult.

Because it's easy to remember all my failures. All my regret. all the disappointments.

That's when I must turn my remembering off of myself and onto The One who created me, has set my feet upon the rock and has promised good to me.

I love these verses from Psalm 77

Then I thought, “To this I will appeal:
    the years when the Most High stretched out his right hand.
11 I will remember the deeds of the Lord;
    yes, I will remember your miracles of long ago.
12 I will consider all your works
    and meditate on all your mighty deeds.” (vs 10-12)

Yes, I will remember and in the remembering I will praise.
And in the remembering I will give thanks for all that He's brought me through and all the things that are yet to come.
Good and Difficult, but so blessedly thankful never alone.

Remember today, who's you are, where He's brought you from and what He's brought you to.

Praising and remembering today,



0 comments:

Post a Comment