Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Putting on the Brakes

This past Friday evening The Hubs and I were in the midst of some serious traffic on one of our local highways. Suddenly, The Hubs had to hit the brakes and we held our breath as we came to a sudden and INCREDIBLY close stop. A small sneeze could have sent us into the rear of the other car at that point.

When we took off again, he noticed that the brakes were making a noise. Since we were in the car that I mostly drive, he asked if I'd heard it before.
Well, yes, I had a heard a noise earlier in the week, but thought an acorn was stuck in there.(We live in the land of giant trees and have had that happen before.)

When we arrived at our destination, J, got out and checked the brakes. No, it seems that was not an acorn stuck in there I heard, but the sound of metal on metal.
We were 45 minutes from home. Pulling a camper.
Awesome.

With much caution and white knuckle praying, we made it home safe and sound, taking the time to get our other car and caravan to the repair shop were we could drop off the truck so it could be repaired the next day.

(As a side note, I should point out that I was NOT praising and giving thanks that no one had gotten hurt. I was mad. And pouting. Hate spending major money on repairs like that. . the ones that don't make anything cuter. Would MUCH rather spend the money on something fun or even just let it actually stay in the bank.
It was a wrong attitude, I know. Just trying to be honest here!)

Saturday evening when we picked up the truck and Hubs had given it a test run, I drove it home from Wal Mart. That's when I noticed it. WOW, I can tell a difference now. I had no idea how bad they were, until driving with new and improved brakes.
They really had gone completely out without me noticing.

It made me think about my youngest son's Bible verse for last week.

Avoid godless chatter, because those who indulge in it will become more and more ungodly. 2 Timothy 2:16

I think often, I become immune to the godless chatter around me and my part in it. And, it's not until I cut certain things out that I realize how ungodly I was becoming.

It starts off so slowly, compromises here and there. "But, it's funny. But it's true. But I find it entertaining. But they'll never know I was talking about them. But, I'm tired and can't have my quiet time now."

I'm so careful (as I should be) to protect my children from all sorts of ungodly talk, whether it be movies, music, tv, video games and yes even some friends- but, sometimes I forget that my mind needs guarded from the chatter of those things as well.

It's a hard line, to be in the world but not of it. To be so spiritually minded you're no earthy good.
To be so worn down, that you don't even notice it until something major happens and you've got to make a quick exit.

I don't have all the answers ( I don't even have half the answers).

But, I do know I need to put the brakes on in areas of my life I've begun to compromise in - and it would be easy to come up with a set of rules of do's and don'ts, but if I have learned anything on this journey of life, it's that Christ cares way more about what is in my heart than any man made list I could come up with.

So, taking this life journey together how do you realize your 'brakes' are going out before it's too late?

0 comments:

Post a Comment