Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Comfy and Cozy

I enjoy things that I've had for a long time.
A worn out blanket, a favorite robe. . the Hubs laughs and shakes his head at my two favorite towels-that I've had since COLLEGE!(to say they are worn out would be an understatement, yet I can't bear to part with them)
I watch the same old movies every Christmas and put up the same decorations-it makes me happy and all warm and snugly inside.

About 5 years ago, I was sitting in class at church, learning how to counsel others. Knowing I was going to being working with women. And, I remember thinking-but I don't do that (work with Women) I work in preschool, because that is where I am comfortable.
Over these past 5 years, I've seen God move in my heart in life-in ways I would have NEVER imagine or chosen.
I'm finding sometimes it's good not to be so comfortable!

Then, about a month ago now, I was standing during the Worship time on a Sunday morning and the CLEAR thought went through my head-"You know you are really in a place in your life now were you should be mentoring someone"
I don't often have such clear directives like that so I paid attention and said 'Yes, you're right, I would love to do that'. Thinking about what young mom would come across my path.
That night at a fellowship ( that is code for Baptist to eat)I had a friend come to me and ask if I would be willing to lead a Follow Group ( small groups, mentoring, accountability and Bible study) of 6th and 7th grade girls.
Ummm, I'm sorry I'm not comfortable with that. . . I don't do teenagers. . .frankly they frighten me. . .Of course, being the good girl I am, I'd said I'd pray about it. Yeah, I'd pray about it alright-pray she'd move on ask somebody else!

But, pray I did and what I heard (not audibly but in my Spirit) was 'Do you believe I told you to begin mentoring or not?' YES, but NOT giggling teenagers, who might ask me some VERY UNCOMFORTABLE questions!!
'Do you believe, I told you or not? Now obey.'

So, I called and said yes-NOT hiding the fact that I am seriously out of my comfort zone.

Our first meeting, before we broke into our small groups, we met in the larger main youth room. As I watched these teens come in, I broke out into a cold sweat, and kept moving to a corner in the back of the room. (BTW, my very dear friend in serving in Africa right now in the middle of nowhere, so I do totally get that there are much harder things to be called too)
All, I kept thinking was that I was in the WRONG place!
Then I met my girls and we went to our own room-and YES there was much giggling-but as I looked into their faces, I realized these were the young women in training to take my generations place.
Now, I can't say they still don't scare me a touch, but I do know, I'd rather be obedient than comfortable.

0 comments:

Post a Comment