Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Boys In Blue

My blog is taking a turn today.

Please forgive this hometown girl.

Game seven of the World Series is being played minutes  from my front door tonight.

As you can imagine Kansas City (for those of you that don't live here, please understand that when

we say "Kansas City" we are talking about the actual city and all it's surrounding suburbs) is

ALL a buzz.  You can feel the excitement in the air!  Some have been true believers all along,

some are new to the party. . .either way all are welcome to cheer on our favorite Boys in Blue!


I would say I fall into the middle of that spectrum.

I grew up in the era of George Brett, Frank White, Bret Saberhagen and Willie Wilson.  The

stadium was about 20 minutes from our house and I passed it everyday to and from school.

I spent many summer night sitting in GA with my friends and youth group and in fact my first

real date was to a Royals game.  I went to church with a couple of players and their families and my

Dear Daddy and I had a standing date every year for my birthday to go to a game.

I can even claim to have sung the National Anthem twice for a Royals game.

But, after the strike in 1994 I became somewhat disillusioned with the game.

And then we had our kiddos and let's face it, for a family of five, a game isn't exactly friendly

to the wallet.  We've gone a few times over the years but mostly just kept an ear on what was

happening with the team.

Something happened along the way. . .I forgot how fun a great game of baseball can be.

And while watching all these innings of baseball the past month, it has been so delightful to

remember.

So, thank you Kansas City Royals for being a team we can be proud of-whether you win or lose

tonight.  Thank you for bringing back my love of the game.  Thank you for appreciating your fans

and loving our city just like we do.  Thank you for giving us a reason to collectively cheer about.

Twenty Nine years later and you reminded me and the world watching what a great place KC is

to live and raise a family.

What a delight it's been to watch games where no one is threatening to 'kill, smash, break' the

opponent. (Don't get me wrong I LOVE football, but it's been so lovely to be reminded that

sometimes you can play a game to see who wins against people you don't have to hate. Although

don't get me started on Joe Buck.)

In a world where the news cycle can pretty much make you want to hide under your bed, what a

great reminder its been that sometimes it's ok just to have a little fun and play ball.

We're rooting for the home team tonight.

We totally and absolutely believe --

Now

Go TAKE THE CROWN!



0 comments:

Post a Comment