Monday, October 28, 2013

An Ordinary Mom's thoughts on Immigration

Immigration . . .

Yes, I'm diving in some deepwater and yes I am in way over my head.
Not my usually topic.

But, because of somethings going on in our church family, the news out of DC, an a Critical Issues Forum my church recently hosted featuring Dr. Richard Land and also a local pastor who's ministry is to those who have recently come to our country, I found my self having some thoughts, some things I feel need saying.

______________________________________________________________________________


I hope you can hang with me, and if not I totally understand.
Also, I know it's a complicated and far reaching subject and I also understand if we don't agree.
But, we can all be kind.

______________________________________________________________________________


Listen there are no easy answers to this place in history where we find our country.
Jesus says love your neighbor has yourself and I feel like that is what I'm called to do. No matter where my neighbor is from originally .
Also, keep in mind, I haven't been elected to anything since my Senior year of High School when I was Student Body Secretary, so you know, I'm in a different position than those in DC.

I believe we do need some sort of immigration reform, can we all acknowledge that what we have now is not working.
And no, I don't think it's right to ignore the laws we have, however those laws aren't doing anyone any good.
So, with it's flaws and all (because there is no perfect solution) I would ask my representatives to support the bill that is coming up for a vote.
English must be learned. A fine paid. Any crimes and you're deported back to country of origin.
No bringing anyone with you except for immediate family, and then after 13 years if you pass all of that and a test, you can become a citizen.

But, I say all that to really talk about the children.  Because  this is what has stuck with me for a while now.  When families get torn apart, it's the children that suffer the most.  It's also no fault of the children if they were brought here illegally or not.
In the whole process, they are the ones who are truly innocent.

We should love them, support them and care for them.
________________________________________________________________________________


It was mentioned a few times when talking of educating the children that what if by not educating them (offering in state tuition for students whether or not they had legal status if they came here when they were young children) we were saying NO to the next great doctor, scientist, inventor ect.

But, here's the part I can't let go of (not that  either man was implying this but it's an argument I hear often used when talking about abortion, and I've used it myself)

What if we're not?
What if we're not educating the next great thinkers of a generation.
What if we're educating a Down Syndrome kid, a kid with autism, a kid with a medical history as long as one of my kiddos?

These children shouldn't be educated and cared for because of what they *might* be able to do for us as a society  someday.  They aren't a  utilitarian object here for our use and if they're of no use to us we discard them.

We are called to love and do justly, expecting nothing in return.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Like I said, ordinary thoughts from the most ordinary of girls.

May it be said of me

I was a father to the needy; I took up the case of the stranger. Job 29:16

Matthew 22:37-40
Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’This is the first and greatest commandment.  And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’  All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Blessings along the way,




0 comments:

Post a Comment