Saturday, February 16, 2013

TIme Flies . . .

Twenty One anniversary's come and gone.

Yes, it's true.
The husband and I celebrated 21 years together yesterday and today we'll head down to our favorite lake for some time away to be together just the two of us.

(Thank you Mimi and Poppie for being the best people we could ever leave our kids with !!)

A couple of people said to me yesterday that I didn't seem old enough to have been married for 21 years. . .and I agreed !  I certainly don't feel old enough.  And our babies don't seem old enough to have parents married that long.
But, it's true.  I was a blushing bride at the ripe old age of twenty.
My handsome Airman waiting at the end the aisle was all of twenty three-I thought he was so mature and charming.
And I still do!

Of course looking back I see what babies we really where!

On paper our story looks something like a Nicholas Spark movie.

I had gone to Germany to teach in a school for children who's parents were serving in the military.
Jerry had been stationed there not quite two years.  A lonely Texas boy striking out to make his mark on the world.
He'd just returned from serving in Desert Storm.

We met in a singles group at the church we were attending.

I was pretty sure he was the cutest thing I'd ever seen.

He called his grandma and told her he found the girl he was going to marry.

Two weeks later he asked, and I said yes. (Yes, you read that correctly)

Six months later we said 'I Do' and vowed to never walk away.
We had stars in our eyes and were pretty sure we were the two people who'd invented love.

Sounds dreamy doesn't it?

And it was.

It was also completely reckless and stupid.

Thankfully, I'm pretty sure God has a special place in his heart for the stupid.

It hasn't always been easy.

Two extremely different personalities who didn't know a blooming thing-what could possibly be easy in that ??

There have been times we've held on by the tips of our fingers. . .


Staying together out of sheer  obedience, knowing that while walking away would have felt good for the moment in the end it would have been wrong.


But, the good has always outweighed the bad.
The laughter filled up rooms more than the tears.

Blessed beyond measure by three  miracles who are a beautiful blend of two personalities of two broken people.

Grace has been so easy to see everyday.

Becoming best friends and a shelter to each other when the world seems so cold and harsh.

Thankful we held on when it would have seemed easier to walk away-because now we get to reap the blessing of some of those painful years.

Twenty one years.
My my how time does indeed fly.

Grace at every turn-given and received.
Space to grow into the people we were meant to be.
Laughter to drive the dark way.




And a kiss that can still curl my toes.








0 comments:

Post a Comment