Monday, February 11, 2013

Snack Time

My little one has become fascinated with birds.

In the warm months she and her daddy sit outside and use an app that makes different bird calls, to see what birds they can get to call them back.
Such a treat to see her face light up when it works!

Because of this fascination, we've added a bird feeder this winter to our back patio.
It's proven to be some interesting watching.

I found myself alone at the kitchen window the other day and I paused what I was doing and just stood there at watched.

Two of the things I became most fascinated by

1) Birds are messy creatures! Can you see all the seed on the ground? That was originally all in the feeder and got tossed to the ground by some excited birds.

2) There are birds willing to only eat the food from the ground and never bother to fly up where the bowl is full.
See that little guy down there-he never once even tried to go where the abundance was. Instead pecked piece by piece what was left for him on the ground.


As I've mulled over this seen and see it  play out several more times this past week, I've been struck how as Christians, we're not that different really than those silly birds.

God has laid out everything we need to feed us.
Abundant, hearty, plentiful food in the form of His word.

But, sadly most of us settle for the stuff others knock out of the bowl and leave on the ground for us.

Perhaps you have no idea what I'm talking about at this point. . .

How about the stuff we re- post or retweet  on Facebook or Twitter-good stuff, a word fitly spoken,
a Bible verse even.
Or we listen to our Praise and Worship music for an hour and call it good.
And don't miss understand what I'm saying-I LOVE that!
Music speaks to our soul and we should fill ourselves with the beauty of music about our Savior.

But, reading a blog post or the latest book, retweeting a great quote, re posting a pretty picture with a lovely saying on Facebook, listening to the oldest or newest in Christian music will and can never take the place of sitting in God's word and being feed a full meal.

So, that's my challenge to you and to me too, let's not be satisfied eating the stuff others have knocked down on the ground for us.
Let's fly up, just a little and eat the banquet   prepared especially for us!

You can do it!
Don't know where to start?
Start with the Gospel of John in the New Testament.  You don't have sit for hours at a time.
But, you do have to sit.

Try it.

I promise it will be more satisfying then eating the crumbs, although they are tasty, others have left for you.

I don't know about you but I'm ready for a meal, not just a snack.


Blessings,


0 comments:

Post a Comment