Saturday, February 1, 2014

When you don't succeed

I retweeted this quote from Timothy Keller today:

"Many times people think if God has called you to something, he's promising you success. He might be calling you to fail to prepare you for something else through the failure."


I thought it was quite freeing, that 'success' as I think of it, isn't always God's goal for my life.

Others disagree. (which, of course, is completely fine- we're certainly not all meant to think alike-I was just surprised)

So I was wondering, what do you, Dear Reader think?

Truth or not?

If God called us to something, is He promising you success?


Inquiring Minds and all that

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

God called me to something six years ago....it's been successful at times but difficult at times. Just hen beget ready to give up I have someone asking for me to do it again:) satan is the discouraged.....God will send opportunities and some will fail and others you might not know what benefits that actually will be made that you won't know about.

5wilkinson's said...

“God does not require that we be successful, only that we be faithful.”
Mother Teresa

Team Gandie said...

Love this question Angie!! One of my favorite theologians, Henri Nouwen, says this about this topic; “There is a great difference between successfulness and fruitfulness. Success comes from strength, control, and respectability. A successful person has the energy to create something, to keep control over its development, and to make it available in large quantities. Success brings many rewards and often fame. Fruits, however, come from weakness and vulnerability. And fruits are unique. A child is the fruit conceived in vulnerability, community is the fruit born through shared brokenness, and intimacy is the fruit that grows through touching one another’s wounds. Let’s remind one another that what brings us true joy is not successfulness but fruitfulness.”

So I like the idea of working for "fruitfulness" instead of "success".

Angie said...

Some great insights-thanks for sharing!
And Andie-I really enjoy Nouwen too!

Post a Comment